Monday, July 13, 2009

We are a little sorry about our pictures this week because when we went to put them on the computer we could get no picture. We tried and tried but could not get it to work. Knowing what little we know we will see if our elders can help us and use them next week. We had a few good ones too, one of Elder Sturdavent eating a delicious mango. It is mango season right now and there are huge trees all over in yards and in the wilds with tons of mango's on them. As we walked the other morning a mango had fallen by the side of the road so I picked it up to bring it home and a man came from across the street and ask me if I wanted more, of course I did so he climbed the neighbor's fence and gave me a sack full.. They are delicious. We went to Williams tonight and they gave us a bunch. They are very good to us and try to get us to eat all the strange things we know nothing about. Last week Cheri, our American neighbor (the law student) was bit or stung? by a centipede . It was about 4:30 in the morning and it hurt her very much. It bit her and she felt it run across her body and frightened her . She was in so much pain and did not know what to do. When she went to school the next day they told her to put fresh lime on it. They also told her it would be back in 8 days and bite her again. Eight days have gone by and has not returned. As we came out of gospel studies a couple of weeks ago the ladies saw a centipede go under their car. They were all screaming and running around so I just stayed away. I thought they had some wild animal under the car. They finally killed it and then they calmed down. The people here seem to be very superstitious.Last Monday three of our sisters came to visit for the afternoon and for lunch. Sister Thomas ask me if I was going to be home and then invited Shanna to come with her and so I thought I should invite Sister Nicholas (branch pres wife). We had a very nice day and they enjoyed the simple meal and I am sure we will be doing that again. Our FHE was successful as we showed The Testament, Elder DeMasters brought it with him and he copied it for us. Now we are wondering how to get all those people to come to church. It is fun. I wondered if you would be interested in how the banana trees grow. It takes one year for a huge bunch of bananas to grow and ripen and when they are picked the tree dies but in its place another tree has volunteered right beside it and so another bunch of bananas grow. The process just goes on and on and no replanting. The farmer in me just finds that fascinating. Maybe I am the only person in the world that did not know how that process works. I loved that information. Another thing I find interesting is how you contact people in their home when you go to visit them. You stand by the gate and call ---hello inside or hello and the persons name. They then come out to greet you. I am telling you this so you will know how to act when you arrive here.Elder Faux and I try to walk a few miles about three times a week. We go early in the morning about 6:30-7:00 or so. By the time we get back I have presperation (sweat) dripping off the brim of my hat. You try to do that in Utah! It runs down my neck, my face and everywhere else. Dave does not have that problem.I don't know if we have said anything about sister missionaries in this mission...We have no sister missionaries, only couples. We have more couple missionaries than any other mission in the church.Our elders are working very hard trying to find people to teach but it is very difficult. I think those in Castries are having the same problem. It is so hot and they are out trudging around all day walking all over and not having much success. I am not sure why but the last few days have been the carnival and so people are more interested in carnival than anything else. We only had about 24 or so to church today. We usually have twice that many. This has been a slow week for us also so hope it picks up soon. Well the church is still true in St Lucia. We have the opportunity to declare that fact quite often. I notice quite a few people checking our blog. Why don't a few of you write to us?Love to all, Sister and Elder Faux

No comments: